If you’re in the online business world then you need to have an email list, period! End of subject.
Unfortunately, what I see over and over again are two things:
- People don’t bother with an email list, mainly because they think it’s too time consuming, they get overwhelmed with the tech stuff, or they don’t know where to begin.
- They have an email list but they don’t send anything out, ever 😱
If you can relate to number 1 or 2 then you aren’t using the tool to its full potential.
Email marketing is a powerhouse of a tool and if you’re not using it in your business then you’re making a HUGE mistake. I can say HUGE because I was once you, not using this tool in my business and it suffered, big time 🤦🏼♀️.
I know when you’re overwhelmed it’s easier to ignore something that you know you should be doing but you’re unsure of how to approach it. Or maybe you have put in the time but were just winging it and it really didn’t convert the way you wished it had.
The power is in your list is so true because it allows you to:
- Build a community of people who like you and what you have to offer.
- Develop trust with future customers/clients.
- Have a built in audience at the ready so when you have something new to offer your community, who is actively reading your newsletters, they are primed and ready to buy from you.
- Conversion rates are higher. Kiss the social media algorithm goodbye.
- Your newsletters help establish you as an expert in your industry.
Some tips to make email marketing work for you and your emails more effective:
- Know who you’re talking to. You can’t be vague here, you need to know exactly who your dreamy client is. If you don’t, your messaging will be muddle and your reader won’t see themselves in your content. This is what you don’t want.
- Offer Value! The best way to start building trust with your ideal client is to offer them a quick win. This is done with a freebie, optin, lead magnet. This can only be done WELL if you know exactly who you’re talking too. Seeing the connection!
- Don’t sweat the unsubscribesr! People are going to unsubscribe, that’s a fact. When someone unsubscribes from my list, I wish them well and don’t fret about it. If they don’t want to hear from me anymore, I don’t want them taking up space on my list. Oooh and never ever buy your list. This is not going to serve your business. You want your list full of people who raised their hand and said yes, I want to hear more from you. These are the ones who are going to turn into customers later on.
- A small list can be more successful than a big one! It’s not the size of your list that matters. You can have 10,000+ people on your list but you’re open rates could suck. It’s because your people are niche specific. If you have a list of 200 people but those 200 people are your dreamy clients and fully engaged with the content you’re putting out, your conversion rates are going to be higher. Hello, small list wins!
- Be consistent! Make a schedule and stick to it. Do what feels right and doable for you. When people know that you’re going to be emailing every Sunday night, they come to look for your email. The last thing you want is to drop off the face of the email world and get back into when you have something to sell. This is icky email marketing.
- Be conversational! People want to feel understood and like they’re not alone. They want encouragement, motivation, and even someone to call them out, tell it like it is. Yes, your list may have hundreds of people on it but you always want them to feel like you’re talking to them directly, like you’re having a personal conversation with them. Remember, always come from a place of value and you won’t go wrong.
- Always add a CTA, call to action! Always, always, always add a call to action. At the end of your newsletter you want your reader to go do something. Connect them to your latest blog post (make sure it’s relevant to your newsletter, of course). Tease about an upcoming product, sale, promo. Sending them to a waitlist page, if they sign up they will be awarded a discount when the product launches. Direct them to your social page of choice, ask them to follow you over there. If they connected with this post, ask them to share your last post on your feed.
How have you made email marketing work for your business? If you haven’t, what’s holding you back? Leave your thoughts in the comments below 👇
If you’re looking for some help with your email list then the List Love Society would be the perfect for you.
Rooting for you,